Other Side of the Table...

Other Side of the Table...

Kshitij Bansal


Congratulations for your promotion Guys! You have done it again. No doubt you deserved that. But before you take on your new responsibilities, I think you must read a story. As they say ‘Power is a necessary evil’, if used to do well, it can create revolution and if mishandled, can create havoc. When my heart provoked me to share with you, a lesson that I learned from my uncle, I penned it down in form of this story. The story is about a guy who got to learn the real meaning of progress and power. With a hope that the message reaches you in high spirit, I wish you all the best. Enjoy reading…


Other side of the table…

“Really?” was his first word when that sound fell on his eardrums. “I mean thanks! Thanks a lot, Sir! Bye…” He couldn’t believe his ears what he had heard just a few seconds ago. After all he had been waiting for this for years now. He still remembered the day when he became Technical lead. His manager called him in his cabin and handed over his promotion letter. The excitement, happiness and zeal that he was containing that day had vanished over the years now. 7 years were more than enough for this erosion. Every time he saw his team members getting promoted, a dense darkness used to engulf him. “Where am I going wrong? My reviews are good. In fact, my work is good. I am managing my team mates well. So, what is the issue? Is it because I spilled the steaming soup on that over smart American client? or maybe because I was last to wish my manager on his promotion? No... It’s not...or may it be yes?  He fought with these questions every time but there was no one to satisfy his queries. Gradually his questions became- “Is my career ruined? Will I remain stuck here only? What is the use of being a team lead if I remain the lead and team members become managers? In past seven years no employee has been designated to report me…God! What is this? Please help!”

But today when Suresh heard from his onsite manager that he has been promoted to the post of Project Manager, his questions subdued; he could hardly contain his excitement which was much larger than the day when he became the lead seven years ago. His complaints became compliments. “Thank you God for these 7 years. I am now able to appropriately value the sweetness of this fruit… Thanks a lot!” But suddenly his lines changed, “Now all of them will report to me. I am their boss. Let me tell them what a boss is…” His words were new but certainly not unexpected. They were a result of the frustration and anger that he became pregnant with when he joined this company as a fresher.

His first manager was a retired army colonel in his 50s. Colonel had certainly learned how to respect and serve his country. But in this process he forgot to learn how to respect his countrymen. So when Suresh joined him, it was like he has found an undisciplined brat whom he has to train. Although Suresh was a careless and frank guy like all collegiate, but he never shirked his responsibilities. He needed time to acclimatize to a professional environment but Colonel was never in a mood to grant him the same. Every day or the other he became the victim of colonel’s nasty remarks or insult in the front of other colleagues. “I will ruin you and your career!” became his nightmares. For every task he did, credit went to colonel. Although that colonel did not remain in Suresh’s life for long, but the events certainly changed his outlook towards office relationships. For him the relationship between a manager and his employee was no better than a master and a slave.

And today he knew he had a chance to satisfy his ego; to take revenge of all those days. He was having first meeting with his new team as a manager. Overexcited, he reached the conference room 10 minutes before the scheduled time and buried himself in the chair on the head side of the conference table. This was his first time on this side. Till yesterday he used to sit on the right side of the head chair. “The world really looks different from this chair…All other chairs seem powerless!” He thought with a proud smile. Within another 10 minutes, all but one of those ‘powerless’ chairs were occupied. Meeting started exactly on time. Suresh stood up from his chair, cleared his throat and said “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! I am Suresh, the project manager for this project. This is my first meeting with you all and I hope we will have a fruitful association ahead. Before we move on, I would like you people to introduce yourself”. And the introduction phase started. The team was an appropriate combination of technical resources. There were 3 highly experienced guys, 2 moderately experienced and 2 freshers. As the last fresher finished“and sir I hope this project opens new doors of opportunities for us in the future”, there was a cranking sound on the door and a shadow appeared, “Excuse me sir! May I come in?” The shadow gradually transformed into a girl. She was fair, average heighted, and wore specs. Her salwar kameez made her look completely conservative Indian girl. But her profile had become irrelevant to Suresh at that time. “Yes, please come in”, Suresh said. “Sir, I am also part of this team. Sorry for being late”, she said. “What’s your name?” asked Suresh “Nisha, Sir!” “So, you think we have all time in the world to wait for her ‘royal highness’ to come for the meeting and oblige us. Is it?” he shouted. “But sir...” she tried to explain. “Look madam I am your manager! M.A.N.A.G.E.R! It will cost me hardly a minute to finish your career. If this is your attitude on day one, then I fear that by end of the project you would…” “Sorry sir!” “You better be! So, folks I think the introductions are over. Let me gather the important details for the project and I would be sharing it with you people by EOD. Then we shall meet again”. Although the meeting ended, its hangover didn’t. Suresh was still dancing to its music. “That’s why everyone wants to be a manager. You are the authority dude!”

Days passed…Months passed. But with each passing day, his thinking and behavior with his team worsened. Now his position used to give him words. Suresh – The Project Manager had completely resurrected from Suresh.

“God! Why Robert is after my life? I have many more tasks to do…but his queries seem like infinity”, thought Suresh, pissed off by the 22nd mail in past 40 minutes from his client in UK. “Country bears them for 200 years, but in these 40 minutes I can empathize with my then countrymen. These people are the scum of the earth...muddleheaded idiots. God please save me”. Regaining his calm Suresh typed his reply:

Dear Robert,

PFA the release schedule. I again assure you that the project is on track. And I am going to communicate the same to the senior management in a meeting. So, I would be out of office for 3 hours.

Regards,
Suresh

“Phew! Finally the ‘leech’ won’t trouble anymore”.
After that ‘sticky’ encounter, he got on to check the requests pending for his approval. Actually, it had been the part of his daily routine now.
“Sanjit needs that tool…OK approved! Then it’s a leave request from…” The name he read brought a cunning smile on his face…“Nisha?” He immediately wrote:

Nisha,

Please come and meet me.

Suresh

“Excuse me sir! May I come in?” “Yes please come!”
“So, Miss. Nisha, why do you want 7 days leave?” he asked.
“Actually Sir I am having my M.Sc. exams.”
“So? Don’t you know that our project is in deployment stages? At this moment I need each and every resource. Sorry I can’t approve your leave.”
“But sir these are my final exams. If I don’t take them now, I will have to wait for a whole year.”
“That’s none of my concern.”
“But sir I am a new resource, still not well trained. I don’t think my absence would affect your project.”
“So now you will tell me who’s important? As a matter of fact, we are not discussing it further madam. You may leave now.”
Teary eyed, she left his cabin.
“Why do people work when they have to study? First complete your studies then join companies...Morons!” he thought after she left and turned his face towards the laptop screen. But suddenly a bright flash blocked his vision and mind.

10 years ago… October 2001
“Dad I’ve got a job…yeah!” Suresh came in rushing. Obviously he had the reason to celebrate. After all it was his first job. He was carrying a box of rasagullas. “Bless me Dad” Suresh touched his father’s feet. “God bless you Beta!” His father’s eyes filled with the tears of pride. His son had become a Software engineer that too in such a reputed company. Now he could clearly see his dreams fulfilled through his son’s eyes.
“When do you have to join, Beta?” “Dad, the day after tomorrow”.

Suresh’s father realized that the time has come to pass on the true lesson which he had learnt from his father before his first job. That night they had celebration dinner and after that Suresh’s father called him in his room.
“Dad” “Yes Beta, please sit.”
“Beta, now you are going to enter a new phase of your life in fact, the longest one. So today I am going to tell you something which will help you throughout your career. In your career you will come across with many people, many places, many situations, and much many advices. Everything you will experience will be much different from the other. Sometimes things would favor you, and at other times they may go completely out of control. But amidst this chaos, never lose yourself. Only you are your true identity. Still whenever you are in doubt just recall the table lesson which I am going to tell you now.

Many a times in your professional life you will come across a conference or meeting table. Like any other table, it has four sides and some chairs placed around it. But always remember that each chair represents a distinct epitome of power. You will start with one chair on a side with the least power and will get to switch the chairs and sides as you rise. But remember; ALWAYS VACATE YOUR PREVIOUS SIDE COMPLETELY BEFORE OCCUPYING A NEW ONE. I mean do not forget to collect all your belongings which includes your behavior, your values, your ethics, your knowledge, and your self-respect before you move to a new side.  If you leave behind any of these items, you would remain devoid of that in the new chair and your old chair would be uncomfortable for the new person to fit in. This will not only impact your career but will also adversely affect that new person. No doubt you will get to understand this in your life but the earlier, the better.
I think you are getting the point Suresh…Suresh??” but Suresh was in the sweet dreams of his new career. His father decided to leave the job of explaining him the lesson to the time and switched off the lights.

Present Day… 2011
The darkness of that room had now filled Suresh’s cabin. But amidst this darkness was an enlightened mind. “It took me 10 years to understand the lesson behind that sentence?? I wish I could have understood it earlier. All these years I had been ruining myself and others. Whenever I was promoted, I got a chance to switch my side to a more powerful one on the conference table. I grabbed the chance too. But under the influence of ego and sense of revenge, I forgot to carry my simplicity, my truth, and my goodness to the other side. What I took with me was my bad past which murdered my present and future. I am not that Suresh! I have changed! What am I doing God? Actually those chairs were never powerless, I deemed myself to be powerful. And now what have I gained, only their hate, their curses. Maybe because of me others have also become like me.”

His eyes filled with tears. He suddenly recalled the teary eyes of Nisha. “What was I doing? Destroying that innocent girl’s career?” He didn’t even have the courage to think about the consequences. Today Suresh had learnt the biggest lesson of his life. Time had done its job. Suresh- the manager had again become Suresh.

That day he wrote two mails:

Dear Nisha,

I think we would be able to manage in your absence. So, I approve your leave.
All the best for your exams!

Regards,
Suresh

And the other one…


Dear Team,

Tomorrow’s lunch is on me. See you all at the Dominos adjoining our facility at 2 pm tomorrow.

Cheers,
Suresh

A tear of repentance and satisfaction rolled down from the corner of his eye as he pressed the send button. He dragged himself to the conference room. But now, the feeling of omnipotence was nowhere to be seen in his eyes. He pulled his chair and very gently occupied it. And then it was something really new. Tears started flowing from both his eyes and at that moment he cried to his heart.
“Excuse me Sir!” A familiar voice reached his ears. Suresh opened his eyes. Nisha was standing in front of him. “Sir, are you all right?”
“Yes, I am fine. Why?”
“Actually Sir, it’s been long that you are in the conference room.”
“What’s the time?”
“It’s quarter past six, sir.”
Then he realized that he slept after crying and slept for long.
“Oh! Yes I am all right Nisha, Thanks!”
“Actually, I must thank you sir. You approved my leave...”
“Oh, that’s ok. You study well and give your exams.”
“Thanks Sir, Bye!” She left the room.
After she left, Suresh looked around the conference room. The room was much brighter than all the times. The brown Oakwood table was appearing the same. But this time, the once ‘powerless’ chairs on the other side of the table were fully vacant and were basking in the glory of pride and responsibility.


Thanks for your precious time!!

Friends, as they say, “With Great Power Comes the Great Responsibility. To test a man’s character, give him the power. When we get power it’s our responsibility to fulfill our duties while making others comfortable”.  I hope you people had a great time reading the story and I also hope that you will carry out your responsibilities towards others very well.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really liked the article, and the very cool blog
Anonymous said…
brinkka2011 says: Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just nice and i could assume youre an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

Popular posts from this blog

Muhabbat ki ek aur Daastaan!

who said humanity

Premium Gods