How Will You Measure Your Life?



How Will You Measure Your Life?



A wonderful work I found on HBR... and the forum that it created.. I'm still in the awe of these wonderful people around!


Thank you Clayton for reminding us in such a brilliant and clear way that life is multidimensional; and for bringing sense to it.

It is easier to hold on to your principles a 100 percent of the time; but whether or not THAT is the right/better thing to do - must be subject to the scrutiny of your very principle. 

After all, its our moral frigidity that creates conflict, prevents co-existence and tolerance and brews superiority and judgement.

The choice and successful pursuit of a profession is but one tool for achieving your purpose. But without a purpose, life can become hollow.

Ironically, a man realizes the true meaning of his life only after the stark realization of its transcience. If more people follow the path of their heart rather than the crowd mentality of commercial success, the world would be different. Of course, they may have to tread a thorny path many a time without giving up on their goodness


Nothing goes a waste if we are able to retrospect the outcome of our past actions and a hope of growth and better future in mind. Everything start with self; an enormous tree can accomodat more than a few inhabitants without a tiff! 

With the busy, $$selfish$$, materialistic & monotonous life style, we seldom realize what we have lost and the continuum. 

Striking the correct balance between purpose of one life and professional career, along with an empathy for the one and all that co-exists, is so very much required as it helps attain a realization in life. Energy transpires; meanings of real success change, and it all creates a chain reaction full of positivity and universal happiness. 

The question is; -how many people- and -for how long- they remain unperturbed in the fast track of intrigued life can be relate to the humane spirit and undaunted faith on "inner Godly self-strengths". 

...It is a new beginning that opens the door for many to attain self realization. 


Mitch McCrimmonI'm sure that people who can find a purpose for their lives early in their careers might be happy but I'm not convinced that it is all that easy to do. It sounds like trying to decide whether you like a certain kind of food before you have tasted it. 

I think one's purpose is something that has to be discovered over time, through experience. I find that regular reflection over many years increases my self awareness and my sense of purpose but I don't believe it is something I could have decided in my university days. 

Also, I think it is possible for one's purpose to evolve and change over time. I think that the best we can do is to expose ourselves to multiple experiences and reflect regularly on what they mean for our purpose. 

It's like house hunting. You can set out a few criteria you want in a new house before you start looking but, as you look at houses, you see features you like that you hadn't thought of before so you go home and revise your criteria. Making such decisions is a process of discovery. 

I don't think that a process of regularly reviewing and revising your purpose is the same as merely drifting. But in an age of rapid change, I doubt if many people can fix on a single lifelong purpose very early in their lives. 

We have to discover our purpose en route - it is like what Henry Mintzberg calls emergent strategy. www.lead2xl.com 


Comments

Dilip said…
Dear Manish,

A profound theme that stimulates the very core of our 'being'. Coming from a person who has generated enormous wealth to businesses means so much. I particularly resonate with his wisdom which I reproduce below -

"I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched.
.... .. about the individuals you have helped become better people."

I consider myself to fortunate to have friends like you who by sharing their special thoughts inspire others.

Manish thank you and of course ... be awesome :)
Dilip said…
Dear Manish,

A profound theme that stimulates the very core of our 'being'. Coming from a person who has generated enormous wealth to businesses means so much. I particularly resonate with his wisdom which I reproduce below -

"I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched.
.... .. about the individuals you have helped become better people."

I consider myself to fortunate to have friends like you who by sharing their special thoughts inspire others.

Manish thank you and of course ... be awesome :)
Manish Thakur said…
Thank you sir. I'm still in the awe of this piece.
Dilip said…
Hey Manish,

I based my talk on 'Values' with students on Clayton's wisdom. The same is posted on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Regards.

Popular posts from this blog

Muhabbat ki ek aur Daastaan!

who said humanity

Premium Gods